- We are a congregation committed to living out the Gospel of Jesus Christ in word and deed.
- We are led by the Spirit into ministries of justice and peace, into spirited worship, and into religious education for all ages.
- We are known as a church-in-mission engaging all generations in hands-on mission projects. Our mission partnerships in Glastonbury, Hartford, South Dakota, and Africa are life-giving and transformational. As a Global Mission church, we seek to be a light in God’s world.
- We are an Open and Affirming church, open to the rich diversity of God’s creation and affirming of all the spiritual gifts people bring. As Jesus sought to welcome those historically excluded, we labor to ensure that everyone has a seat at the table.
- We are a Christian church committed to inter-faith engagement, to loving our neighbors, and to servant leadership.
Open and Affirming
Because we are all one, unified in Jesus Christ, we are called to be a caring community, made up of, and open to all people without qualification including persons of any race, sex, age, nationality, marital status, physical ability, mental condition, economic status, or sexual orientation. We believe we are all unique, special and loved by God and created in God’s image. We will work to affirm the worth and dignity of all as gifts of God’s creation. Therefore, in keeping with the Covenant of our church, we, the members of The Congregational Church in South Glastonbury, declare ourselves to be an open and affirming church and join our brothers and sisters in the United Church of Christ who are striving to welcome all people who wish to follow Christ.
This Open and Affirming (ONA) statement was adopted by South Church on January 27, 1991. We have spent the last 20+ years humbly and faithfully living into it. It is our hope that no matter who you are, or where you are on life’s journey, you will be welcome in this church.